Thursday, February 18, 2010

Lent.....40 days to spend more time with God

Ash Wednesday....what a moving reflective evening service. The temps were mild, the air was crisp and clean and the sky was lit up with stars.   Breaking away from the normal schedule and spending an evening with God is such a wonderful experience....to have the freedom to do so is even more amazing.

These last 2 years have been such a struggle for so many.  I watch what so many have worked so hard to accomplish only to slip away......our lives are changed in moments.  My favorite words to God have now become, "Lord, send down your Spirit and renew the face of the earth".  We all need a renewal of life and it needs to come through the Lord.

We need to come together as families and communities and pray together and for each other, especially during these next 40 days.   Take extra time out each day for prayer and reflection.....say your morning prayers before you turn on the TV or computer...say a rosary on your drive to work instead of listening to that morning radio crap talk...go to your church on Sunday to worship as a community.  People in other countries don't have that opportunity or freedom to worship in public.  We get so wrapped up in our daily lives that Sunday has just become a weekend day...I can't believe when people say "I thought it was Saturday today" or "What day is it on a Sunday"........WHAT......how can you not know it is Sunday ??
The people of the church I have attended since being married are so wonderful.  I get squeezes on the shoulder as they pass me up to communion, hugs after church, and people who hold my hand and look me in the eyes as wish me a happy and blessed week.  You can't get that from staying home on Sunday or praying by yourself.  Make this Lent the begining of your renewal with God and the religion you have the freedom to particiapte in.

Blessed Be--Debra Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment