Sunday, December 6, 2009

Cutting down the perfect Christmas Tree !


We usually just get a Christmas Tree from a lot.  However, the last few years, the trees have been cut and on lots by Halloween.  By the time you put the tree up in December, it's dropping needles before you get all the ornaments on.  This year we have friends coming to visit from Texas and plan on having a gathering at our home on January 1st.   I talked my 3 adult children in to going to a tree farm for the first time in their lives, yes together in the same vehicle.  (Those who know my children, know this is a Christmas Miracle all on it's own !)    They are very strongly opinionated and a bit stubborn. It's the combination of the Irish and Polish heritage.   My niece offered to have them join her and her husband and a group that they go with every year.  However, since this was their first time, I was a bit nervous on how it would all play out ! 

It didn't start out all that well,  my son Max is a "let's go and get this done" kind of guy and the girls like to first get fully awake and then get ready to go.   After a few "choice" exchanges of words, they all hopped into Santas big 1 ton truck and took off.  I watched from my office window and blessed them, something I learned from my mom for a safe journey. 


                           The first picture I received from Allison's phone was this one of Lindsay.
Santa had told them not to bring too large of a tree home.  We do have vaulted ceilings, but where we put it is only 8' 6".    The ended up getting a 12' tree and having to cut it twice to get it to fit in the house.  It is beautiful though.  Allison put good use of all the extra branches in the barrels outside, so nothing went to waste. 

The living room was freezing cold as that  tree unthawed and warmed up.  This afternoon, the tree fell out of the tree stand onto the floor.  Good thing we didn't get any ornaments or lights on yet.  Santa assures me he has corrected the problem down in his workshop and the tree is once again standing.

I believe this will be a wonderful memory for my children in year's to come.  I am hopeful, this will be a family tradition for them each year together. 

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear they didn't hurt each other in the process! Sounds like fun to me! God bless - Holly

    ReplyDelete